Doubt about the samba PDC

Samba - General mailing list
Hello, almost 3 months ago I started working in a new place assuming
the position of Networks Administrator, in which there is an Active
Directory mounted in Samba 4.1.7 (Debian Wheezy), I did not know much
about the topic so I started studying and recently added a secondary
Domain Controller, which runs on Samba 4.6.3 (Debian Jessie).
I have done tests in a virtual environment (VirtualBox) recreating the
most possibly exact conditions of the real situation and removing the
old server (4.1.7) and leaving only the newest connected (4.6.3) all
the users can continue working without apparent problems... now is the
question:
To leave only the secondary (4.6.3) as a Primary Domain Controller, I
have to do the "demote" of the oldest (4.1.7)? Or simply by
disconnecting the oldest one (4.1.7) from the network he will assume
the roll of Primary?
Greetings!

Re: Doubt about the samba PDC

Samba - General mailing list
On Fri, 15 Dec 2017 14:37:17 -0500
Frank Morales via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello, almost 3 months ago I started working in a new place assuming
> the position of Networks Administrator, in which there is an Active
> Directory mounted in Samba 4.1.7 (Debian Wheezy), I did not know much
> about the topic so I started studying and recently added a secondary
> Domain Controller, which runs on Samba 4.6.3 (Debian Jessie).
> I have done tests in a virtual environment (VirtualBox) recreating the
> most possibly exact conditions of the real situation and removing the
> old server (4.1.7) and leaving only the newest connected (4.6.3) all
> the users can continue working without apparent problems... now is the
> question:
> To leave only the secondary (4.6.3) as a Primary Domain Controller, I
> have to do the "demote" of the oldest (4.1.7)? Or simply by
> disconnecting the oldest one (4.1.7) from the network he will assume
> the roll of Primary?
> Greetings!

There is no such thing as a 'primary' AD DC, but there are FSMO roles
and these will probably be owned by the first DC, so you will need to
transfer these roles with 'samba-tool fsmo transfer' before you demote
the old first DC.

Try reading the Samba wiki:

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Main_Page