Digitising vinyl records

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Digitising vinyl records

Mike Carden
IIRC (and I really have not checked), Peter Chubb gave a talk at LCA in
2005 about turning a vinyl record collection into a digital one.

At the time I was fresh off being a Technical Liaison Officer for Panasonic
Australia and high quality turntables were a thing I knew a bit about. In
fact I had spent years servicing turntables at that point. The Technics DJ
direct drive beasties were much in demand. So I nodded through Peter's
presentation.

Fast forward to 2017.

I have a small collection of vinyl records that I'd like to listen to.

Where can I buy a reasonably good turntable with decent speed control, a
pretty good cartridge and stylus and a roughly OK calibrated counterweight?

--
MC
--
linux mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/linux
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Digitising vinyl records

Stephen Hocking
I tend to go out & buy the CD versions. This also gives me an excuse to
backfill those albums of each artist I'd never got around to buying.
Failing that, there are are any number of USB ADC/DAC thingies about, plus
open source audio editors. The fun comes in splitting each track out from
the WAV file of each side of the album.

On 13 February 2017 at 18:51, Mike Carden <[hidden email]> wrote:

> IIRC (and I really have not checked), Peter Chubb gave a talk at LCA in
> 2005 about turning a vinyl record collection into a digital one.
>
> At the time I was fresh off being a Technical Liaison Officer for Panasonic
> Australia and high quality turntables were a thing I knew a bit about. In
> fact I had spent years servicing turntables at that point. The Technics DJ
> direct drive beasties were much in demand. So I nodded through Peter's
> presentation.
>
> Fast forward to 2017.
>
> I have a small collection of vinyl records that I'd like to listen to.
>
> Where can I buy a reasonably good turntable with decent speed control, a
> pretty good cartridge and stylus and a roughly OK calibrated counterweight?
>
> --
> MC
> --
> linux mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/linux
>



--

  "I and the public know
  what all schoolchildren learn
  Those to whom evil is done
  Do evil in return" W.H. Auden, "September 1, 1939"
--
linux mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/linux
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Digitising vinyl records

Hugh Fisher-2
In reply to this post by Mike Carden
On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 6:51 PM, Mike Carden <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have a small collection of vinyl records that I'd like to listen to.
>
> Where can I buy a reasonably good turntable with decent speed control, a
> pretty good cartridge and stylus and a roughly OK calibrated counterweight?

Not nearly technical enough :-)

A couple of years ago I attended a talk at the National Film & Sound
Archive on recovering content from old analog audio media. IIRC, the
state of the art is to use high res digital cameras to photograph the
grooves, image processing software to merge any cracks or gaps and
straighten the curved tracks into one long strip, and then just
convert the width of the track pixel by pixel into an audio level.

Sure it will cost much more and take far longer, but think of how much
fun you'll have :-)

--

        cheers,
        Hugh Fisher

--
linux mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/linux
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Digitising vinyl records

Arjen Lentz
Even better, you can actually grab a wav file and generate an STL to 3D print your own record.

But more in the right direction, I figure there'll be tools for that processing around now. With a bit of luck, open.
That wav2stl thing was just a "little" hack project by someone....


Hugh Fisher <[hidden email]> schreef op 13 februari 2017 20:20:04 GMT+10:00:

>On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 6:51 PM, Mike Carden <[hidden email]>
>wrote:
>>
>> I have a small collection of vinyl records that I'd like to listen
>to.
>>
>> Where can I buy a reasonably good turntable with decent speed
>control, a
>> pretty good cartridge and stylus and a roughly OK calibrated
>counterweight?
>
>Not nearly technical enough :-)
>
>A couple of years ago I attended a talk at the National Film & Sound
>Archive on recovering content from old analog audio media. IIRC, the
>state of the art is to use high res digital cameras to photograph the
>grooves, image processing software to merge any cracks or gaps and
>straighten the curved tracks into one long strip, and then just
>convert the width of the track pixel by pixel into an audio level.
>
>Sure it will cost much more and take far longer, but think of how much
>fun you'll have :-)
>
>--
>
>        cheers,
>        Hugh Fisher
>
>--
>linux mailing list
>[hidden email]
>https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/linux

--
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
--
linux mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/linux
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Digitising vinyl records

Bryan Kilgallin (laptop)
In reply to this post by Mike Carden
Mike:

> Where can I buy a reasonably good turntable with decent speed control, a
> pretty good cartridge and stylus and a roughly OK calibrated counterweight?

Duratone Hi-fi in Phillip were top of the range. I bought a
surround-sound setup there about eight years ago. They're at the corner
of Botany Street and Altree Court. Their phone # is 62820778.

--
www.netspeed.com.au/bryan/


--
linux mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/linux
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Digitising vinyl records

Eyal Lebedinsky
In reply to this post by Mike Carden
On 13/02/17 18:51, Mike Carden wrote:

> IIRC (and I really have not checked), Peter Chubb gave a talk at LCA in
> 2005 about turning a vinyl record collection into a digital one.
>
> At the time I was fresh off being a Technical Liaison Officer for Panasonic
> Australia and high quality turntables were a thing I knew a bit about. In
> fact I had spent years servicing turntables at that point. The Technics DJ
> direct drive beasties were much in demand. So I nodded through Peter's
> presentation.
>
> Fast forward to 2017.
>
> I have a small collection of vinyl records that I'd like to listen to.

I went through this process almost 4 years ago. My experience is this:

1) Having to listen to all of those records was a real joy, some I forgot how much
I like them.

2) As good as I looked after my records, as LPs go the quality is nothing like
a CD. This collection (only about 200 records) are just the ones that I did not
replace with CDs in the preceding decades. I am mostly happy with this approach.

3) People may get into the technical issues of cleaning the audio and splitting
the tracks. I did not do that because I never listened to individual tracks
anyway, and the scratches etc. are very much how I remember these records.

4) How good is your hearing? How quiet is your listening environment?
Invest in hardware only up to the level that you can actually experience.

> Where can I buy a reasonably good turntable with decent speed control, a
> pretty good cartridge and stylus and a roughly OK calibrated counterweight?

I still have my reasonably good turntable, ran it through my sound system preamp
and fed it to the line input of my humble PC.

Do you really want to buy a new turntable just for this one-off task?
Maybe you plan to get back into the new vinyl craze.

cheers

--
Eyal Lebedinsky ([hidden email])

--
linux mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/linux
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Digitising vinyl records

Edward C. Lang
In reply to this post by Mike Carden
Hi Mike,

Better Music in Phillip stocks turntables. Ross Garrett used to work there,
he now works at NFSA.

http://www.bettermusic.com.au/dj/turntables

http://www.iasa-web.org/technical-committee

Those might be options to investigate.

Regards,

Edward.


On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 3:51 PM, Mike Carden <[hidden email]> wrote:

> IIRC (and I really have not checked), Peter Chubb gave a talk at LCA in
> 2005 about turning a vinyl record collection into a digital one.
>
> At the time I was fresh off being a Technical Liaison Officer for Panasonic
> Australia and high quality turntables were a thing I knew a bit about. In
> fact I had spent years servicing turntables at that point. The Technics DJ
> direct drive beasties were much in demand. So I nodded through Peter's
> presentation.
>
> Fast forward to 2017.
>
> I have a small collection of vinyl records that I'd like to listen to.
>
> Where can I buy a reasonably good turntable with decent speed control, a
> pretty good cartridge and stylus and a roughly OK calibrated counterweight?
>
> --
> MC
> --
> linux mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/linux
>



--
Edward C. Lang

http://edlang.org/
--
linux mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/linux
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Digitising vinyl records

Michael Carden
Thanks all. I have generously been offered the loan of some appropriate
gear, so we'll see how that goes.

--
MC



On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 11:39 PM, Edward Lang <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> Better Music in Phillip stocks turntables. Ross Garrett used to work there,
> he now works at NFSA.
>
> http://www.bettermusic.com.au/dj/turntables
>
> http://www.iasa-web.org/technical-committee
>
> Those might be options to investigate.
>
> Regards,
>
> Edward.
>
>
> On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 3:51 PM, Mike Carden <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
> > IIRC (and I really have not checked), Peter Chubb gave a talk at LCA in
> > 2005 about turning a vinyl record collection into a digital one.
> >
> > At the time I was fresh off being a Technical Liaison Officer for
> Panasonic
> > Australia and high quality turntables were a thing I knew a bit about. In
> > fact I had spent years servicing turntables at that point. The Technics
> DJ
> > direct drive beasties were much in demand. So I nodded through Peter's
> > presentation.
> >
> > Fast forward to 2017.
> >
> > I have a small collection of vinyl records that I'd like to listen to.
> >
> > Where can I buy a reasonably good turntable with decent speed control, a
> > pretty good cartridge and stylus and a roughly OK calibrated
> counterweight?
> >
> > --
> > MC
> > --
> > linux mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/linux
> >
>
>
>
> --
> Edward C. Lang
>
> http://edlang.org/
> --
> linux mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/linux
>
--
linux mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/linux
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Digitising vinyl records

Robert Edwards
In reply to this post by Hugh Fisher-2
On 13/02/17 21:20, Hugh Fisher wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 6:51 PM, Mike Carden <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I have a small collection of vinyl records that I'd like to listen to.
>>
>> Where can I buy a reasonably good turntable with decent speed control, a
>> pretty good cartridge and stylus and a roughly OK calibrated counterweight?
>
> Not nearly technical enough :-)
>
> A couple of years ago I attended a talk at the National Film & Sound
> Archive on recovering content from old analog audio media. IIRC, the
> state of the art is to use high res digital cameras to photograph the
> grooves, image processing software to merge any cracks or gaps and
> straighten the curved tracks into one long strip, and then just
> convert the width of the track pixel by pixel into an audio level.
>
> Sure it will cost much more and take far longer, but think of how much
> fun you'll have :-)
>

You seem to be missing the key ingredient: lasers. If your audio
digitisation from analogue media solution doesn't involve lasers,
then you aren't trying hard enough...

Bob Edwards.


--
linux mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/linux
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Digitising vinyl records

Luc Small
Before you do any of this, Mike, make sure you give your vinyl a good clean
with PVA glue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHMEj3Jv7F8

OK perhaps you don't need to go to such drastic lengths. But the above
video also gives a lot of tips on progressively more involved vinyl
cleaning techniques.

Cheers,
Luc

On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 9:58 AM, Bob Edwards <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 13/02/17 21:20, Hugh Fisher wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 6:51 PM, Mike Carden <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>
>>> I have a small collection of vinyl records that I'd like to listen to.
>>>
>>> Where can I buy a reasonably good turntable with decent speed control, a
>>> pretty good cartridge and stylus and a roughly OK calibrated
>>> counterweight?
>>>
>>
>> Not nearly technical enough :-)
>>
>> A couple of years ago I attended a talk at the National Film & Sound
>> Archive on recovering content from old analog audio media. IIRC, the
>> state of the art is to use high res digital cameras to photograph the
>> grooves, image processing software to merge any cracks or gaps and
>> straighten the curved tracks into one long strip, and then just
>> convert the width of the track pixel by pixel into an audio level.
>>
>> Sure it will cost much more and take far longer, but think of how much
>> fun you'll have :-)
>>
>>
> You seem to be missing the key ingredient: lasers. If your audio
> digitisation from analogue media solution doesn't involve lasers,
> then you aren't trying hard enough...
>
> Bob Edwards.
>
>
>
> --
> linux mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/linux
>
--
linux mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/linux
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Digitising vinyl records

David Howe
In reply to this post by Mike Carden
Stanton make a reasonable line or turntables. Google is your friend

David

On 13 Feb 2017 6:53 PM, "Mike Carden" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> IIRC (and I really have not checked), Peter Chubb gave a talk at LCA in
> 2005 about turning a vinyl record collection into a digital one.
>
> At the time I was fresh off being a Technical Liaison Officer for Panasonic
> Australia and high quality turntables were a thing I knew a bit about. In
> fact I had spent years servicing turntables at that point. The Technics DJ
> direct drive beasties were much in demand. So I nodded through Peter's
> presentation.
>
> Fast forward to 2017.
>
> I have a small collection of vinyl records that I'd like to listen to.
>
> Where can I buy a reasonably good turntable with decent speed control, a
> pretty good cartridge and stylus and a roughly OK calibrated counterweight?
>
> --
> MC
> --
> linux mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/linux
>
--
linux mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/linux
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Digitising vinyl records

Steve Barnes
In reply to this post by Mike Carden
> Where can I buy a reasonably good turntable with decent speed control, a
> pretty good cartridge and stylus and a roughly OK calibrated counterweight?

You can borrow one of my Technics SL1200 MK2 if you want Mike, they're
sitting in my cupboard looking sorry for themselves. You'll probably
want to sort out your own cart/needle - something decent for the
conversion process.

I also have some left over Disc Doctors Miracle Record Cleaner you're
welcome to. [1]

Steve

[1]
http://www.decibelhifi.com.au/the-disc-doctor-miracle-record-cleaner-1pint/



--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.


--
linux mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/linux
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Digitising vinyl records

Steve Barnes
In reply to this post by Michael Carden
On 02/14/2017 07:24 AM, Michael Carden wrote:
> Thanks all. I have generously been offered the loan of some appropriate
> gear, so we'll see how that goes.

I need to read faster and type slower :)

Offer still stands if you need it.

Steve


--
This message has been scanned for viruses and
dangerous content by MailScanner, and is
believed to be clean.


--
linux mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/linux
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Sandra and Woo

George at Clug
    Anyone familiar with Sandra and Woo?

http://www.sandraandwoo.com/2015/04/13/0674-there-are-10-types-of-programmers/

If you like the link above, search for Sandra and Woo and
an-offer-you-cant-refuse-ww

--
linux mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.samba.org/mailman/listinfo/linux