Deploy software in fileserver folder

Samba - General mailing list
Hello list,

I tried to set up a folder on our fileserver domain member, so I can deploy
software for users' machines, but is not working.

If I put the software inside "netlogon" it installs correctly.

\\172.16.1.7\storage\programs

Auth Users - read & execute, list folder contents, read and write

Do I need other permissions?

--
Elias Pereira

Re: Deploy software in fileserver folder

Samba - General mailing list
I tested putting "everyone" with full permission on the folder, but still
the software deploy does not work.

Any idea?

--
Elias Pereira

Re: Deploy software in fileserver folder

Samba - General mailing list
Sorry for a lack of information. I'm using GPOs for deploy the software.

Em 10 de jan de 2018 3:00 PM, "Luke Barone" <[hidden email]> escreveu:

How are you deploying the software? You've given us very little

On Jan 10, 2018 7:01 AM, "Elias Pereira via samba" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I tested putting "everyone" with full permission on the folder, but still
> the software deploy does not work.
>
> Any idea?
>
> On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 11:37 AM, Elias Pereira <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hello list,
> >
> > I tried to set up a folder on our fileserver domain member, so I can
> > deploy software for users' machines, but is not working.
> >
> > If I put the software inside "netlogon" it installs correctly.
> >
> > \\172.16.1.7\storage\programs
> >
> > Auth Users - read & execute, list folder contents, read and write
> >
> > Do I need other permissions?
> >
> > --
> > Elias Pereira
> >

> --
> Elias Pereira

Re: Deploy software in fileserver folder

Samba - General mailing list
Which GPO? Computer or User Configuration?

Remember that GPOs need to run as the context of either the computer or the
user. Computers typically do not have access to many folders on a file
server, even as "Everyone". That is why the NETLOGON folder works.

If you're deploying as a USER configuration, then it should run as the
context of the user, meaning the Everyone permission would work.

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 9:45 AM, Elias Pereira <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry for a lack of information. I'm using GPOs for deploy the software.
>
> Em 10 de jan de 2018 3:00 PM, "Luke Barone" <[hidden email]>
> escreveu:
>
> How are you deploying the software? You've given us very little
>
> On Jan 10, 2018 7:01 AM, "Elias Pereira via samba" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I tested putting "everyone" with full permission on the folder, but still
>> the software deploy does not work.
>>
>> Any idea?
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 11:37 AM, Elias Pereira <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Hello list,
>> >
>> > I tried to set up a folder on our fileserver domain member, so I can
>> > deploy software for users' machines, but is not working.
>> >
>> > If I put the software inside "netlogon" it installs correctly.
>> >
>> > \\172.16.1.7\storage\programs
>> >
>> > Auth Users - read & execute, list folder contents, read and write
>> >
>> > Do I need other permissions?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Elias Pereira
>> >

>> --
>> Elias Pereira

Re: Deploy software in fileserver folder

Samba - General mailing list
Luke,

I'm running via computer scope and I believe that's the problem. Later I
will test and give a return if that was the detail.

Em 10 de jan de 2018 15:47, "Luke Barone" <[hidden email]> escreveu:

Which GPO? Computer or User Configuration?

Remember that GPOs need to run as the context of either the computer or the
user. Computers typically do not have access to many folders on a file
server, even as "Everyone". That is why the NETLOGON folder works.

If you're deploying as a USER configuration, then it should run as the
context of the user, meaning the Everyone permission would work.

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 9:45 AM, Elias Pereira <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorry for a lack of information. I'm using GPOs for deploy the software.
>
> Em 10 de jan de 2018 3:00 PM, "Luke Barone" <[hidden email]>
> escreveu:
>
> How are you deploying the software? You've given us very little
>
> On Jan 10, 2018 7:01 AM, "Elias Pereira via samba" <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I tested putting "everyone" with full permission on the folder, but still
>> the software deploy does not work.
>>
>> Any idea?
>>
>> On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 11:37 AM, Elias Pereira <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > Hello list,
>> >
>> > I tried to set up a folder on our fileserver domain member, so I can
>> > deploy software for users' machines, but is not working.
>> >
>> > If I put the software inside "netlogon" it installs correctly.
>> >
>> > \\172.16.1.7\storage\programs
>> >
>> > Auth Users - read & execute, list folder contents, read and write
>> >
>> > Do I need other permissions?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Elias Pereira
>> >

>> --
>> Elias Pereira

Re: Deploy software in fileserver folder

Samba - General mailing list
Hey Luke, thanks for the help!!! It's working now!!!

God bless you and your family!! :D

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 6:07 PM, Elias Pereira <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Luke,
>
> I'm running via computer scope and I believe that's the problem. Later I
> will test and give a return if that was the detail.
>

> Em 10 de jan de 2018 15:47, "Luke Barone" <[hidden email]> escreveu:
>
> Which GPO? Computer or User Configuration?
>
> Remember that GPOs need to run as the context of either the computer or
> the user. Computers typically do not have access to many folders on a file
> server, even as "Everyone". That is why the NETLOGON folder works.
>
> If you're deploying as a USER configuration, then it should run as the
> context of the user, meaning the Everyone permission would work.
>
> On Wed, Jan 10, 2018 at 9:45 AM, Elias Pereira <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Sorry for a lack of information. I'm using GPOs for deploy the software.
>>
>> Em 10 de jan de 2018 3:00 PM, "Luke Barone" <[hidden email]>
>> escreveu:
>>
>> How are you deploying the software? You've given us very little
>>
>> On Jan 10, 2018 7:01 AM, "Elias Pereira via samba" <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> I tested putting "everyone" with full permission on the folder, but still
>>> the software deploy does not work.
>>>
>>> Any idea?

>>> --
>>> Elias Pereira
>>> --

Elias Pereira

Re: Deploy software in fileserver folder

Samba - General mailing list
Hello,

I thought it worked, but after I uninstalled the software that I deployed
via user scope, it did not reinstall. I selected the "Redeploy application"
option, but it also did not work.

I read that in the user scope there are 2 installation options:

- Deployed to User, Assigned Software - Not installed until the default is
opened in the Programs Folder in the Start Menu.
- Deploy to User, Published Software - Not installed until initiated to be
installed from the "Programs and Features".

I used both options and it was not installed either.

I want to try to install via computer scope and into a fileserver folder
because of disk space in AD.

Is there any other way to set this up?

--
Elias Pereira

Re: Deploy software in fileserver folder

Samba - General mailing list
Hi Elias,

> I thought it worked, but after I uninstalled the software that I deployed
> via user scope, it did not reinstall. I selected the "Redeploy application"
> option, but it also did not work.

The user scope GPO are run with the privileges and access tokens of the
logged on user, so the user have local admin rights for install and need
access rights to the share you are putting your installation files (read
rights for "domain users" group for example).

The computer scope GPO are run with maximum privileges using LocalSystem
account. LocalSystem has access to machine kerberos credentials, so for
accessing a share on the file server, you'll need to add read rights for
"domain computers" group. You can check that your computer account can
connect to a share by login in as LocalSystem using psexec:
   psexec -i -s cmd
     net use F: \\server\sharename
     dir f:

Any way, you'd be better at using a software deployment solution for
that task (GPO are really not good at that, even Microsoft would advise
you to use ConfigMgr/SCCM). I'm partial on that point as I'm one of the
developers, but I'd advise you to check out WAPT [2].

Cheers,

Denis

[1] https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/pstools
[2] https://wapt.fr/en

--
Denis Cardon
Tranquil IT Systems

Re: Deploy software in fileserver folder

Samba - General mailing list
Hello Denis, thanks for the answer!!!

so for accessing a share on the file server, you'll need to add read rights
> for "domain computers" group

Is this read permission for the domain computer I need to configure in the
deploy software GPO, sharing folder or both?

 psexec -i -s cmd
>     net use F: \\server\sharename
>     dir f:

At first I was able to execute the commands above. At first I had to run a
cmd with adm privileges, because in the normal user it was denied access.
After that the mapping worked and I got the access in F:

On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 2:06 PM, Denis Cardon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>>
>>> Luke,

>>> --
>>> Elias Pereira
>>>

> --
> Denis Cardon
> Tranquil IT Systems
> Les Espaces Jules Verne, bâtiment A
> 12 avenue Jules Verne
> 44230 Saint Sébastien sur Loire
> tel : +33 (0) 2.40.97.57.55
> http://www.tranquil-it-systems.fr

--
Elias Pereira

Re: Deploy software in fileserver folder

Samba - General mailing list
Hi Elias,

> Hello Denis, thanks for the answer!!!
>
>     so for accessing a share on the file server, you'll need to add read
>     rights for "domain computers" group
>

> Is this read permission for the domain computer I need to configure in
> the deploy software GPO, sharing folder or both?

When you create GPO through RSAT it will set the proper rights on the
sysvol share. If you messed up with your rights, then use samba-tool
ntacl sysvolcheck / sysvolreset.

On the other hand, you'll have to properly set up the rights on your
file share with "domain computer" read privileges.

>      psexec -i -s cmd
>         net use F: \\server\sharename
>         dir f:
>

> At first I was able to execute the commands above. At first I had to run
> a cmd with adm privileges, because in the normal user it was denied
> access. After that the mapping worked and I got the access in F:

Yes, you'll need elevated privileges to run this command. You can check
if you you have enough privileges using the command below. In the
listing, you should have "High Mandatory Level" at the end of the list.
  whoami /groups

But anyway, I'd say it is not a friendly move from me to help you fix
that, you should really look into a software deployement solution, it
will make your life much easier! :-)

Cheers,

Denis