Cannot remove offline domain

Samba - General mailing list
Hi

I am trying to remove a dead offline domain using the below command which
is failing

samba-tool domain demote --remove-other-dead-server=IUMONG-RODC
-UAdministrator
ERROR: Demote failed: DemoteException: IUMONG-RODC is not an AD DC in
iumnet.edu.na
A transaction is still active in ldb context [0x2bf15b0] on
tdb:///var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb

IUMONG-RODC domain is still visible under domain controllers in Active
Directory Users and Computers.

Please help on how to remove all the records of this dead domain from the
DC.

Thanks n Regards

*Harsh Kukreja *Systems Administrator
*International University of Namibia *Tel: 061-4336000 - E-mail: h.kukreja
@ium.edu.na - Web:
*http://www.ium.edu.na <http://www.ium.edu.na/>*Private Bag
14005,Bachbrech. 21-31 Hercules Street, Dorado Park, Windhoek, NAMIBIA

Re: Cannot remove offline domain

Samba - General mailing list
On 1/11/2018 10:25 AM, Harsh Kukreja via samba wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am trying to remove a dead offline domain using the below command which
> is failing
>
> samba-tool domain demote --remove-other-dead-server=IUMONG-RODC
> -UAdministrator
> ERROR: Demote failed: DemoteException: IUMONG-RODC is not an AD DC in
> iumnet.edu.na
> A transaction is still active in ldb context [0x2bf15b0] on
> tdb:///var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb
>
> IUMONG-RODC domain is still visible under domain controllers in Active
> Directory Users and Computers.
>
> Please help on how to remove all the records of this dead domain from the
> DC.
>
> Thanks n Regards
>
> *Harsh Kukreja *Systems Administrator
> *International University of Namibia *Tel: 061-4336000 - E-mail: h.kukreja
> @ium.edu.na - Web:
> *http://www.ium.edu.na <http://www.ium.edu.na/>*Private Bag
> 14005,Bachbrech. 21-31 Hercules Street, Dorado Park, Windhoek, NAMIBIA

What version of Samba are you running? There have been improvements to
removing an offline DC in recent versions.

James

Re: Cannot remove offline domain

Samba - General mailing list
Hi James

I am running samba 4.6.12 on a Ubuntu server.

Sent from my iPhone

> On 11 Jan 2018, at 6:08 PM, lingpanda101 via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 1/11/2018 10:25 AM, Harsh Kukreja via samba wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I am trying to remove a dead offline domain using the below command which
>> is failing
>>
>> samba-tool domain demote --remove-other-dead-server=IUMONG-RODC
>> -UAdministrator
>> ERROR: Demote failed: DemoteException: IUMONG-RODC is not an AD DC in
>> iumnet.edu.na
>> A transaction is still active in ldb context [0x2bf15b0] on
>> tdb:///var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb
>>
>> IUMONG-RODC domain is still visible under domain controllers in Active
>> Directory Users and Computers.
>>
>> Please help on how to remove all the records of this dead domain from the
>> DC.
>>
>> Thanks n Regards
>>
>> *Harsh Kukreja *Systems Administrator
>> *International University of Namibia *Tel: 061-4336000 - E-mail: h.kukreja
>> @ium.edu.na - Web:
>> *http://www.ium.edu.na <http://www.ium.edu.na/>*Private Bag
>> 14005,Bachbrech. 21-31 Hercules Street, Dorado Park, Windhoek, NAMIBIA
>
> What version of Samba are you running? There have been improvements to removing an offline DC in recent versions.

> James

Re: Cannot remove offline domain

Hi Harsh,

> I am trying to remove a dead offline domain using the below command which
> is failing
>
> samba-tool domain demote --remove-other-dead-server=IUMONG-RODC
> -UAdministrator
> ERROR: Demote failed: DemoteException: IUMONG-RODC is not an AD DC in
> iumnet.edu.na
> A transaction is still active in ldb context [0x2bf15b0] on
> tdb:///var/lib/samba/private/sam.ldb
>
> IUMONG-RODC domain is still visible under domain controllers in Active
> Directory Users and Computers.

I'll suppose from the name of your DC that it is a RODC. I've never used
the demote command line to remove a RODC. Perhaps you have found a bug.

Anyway, you can still remove all the references by hand. To know which
entries to delete, you can demote a RWDC in a testbed, it will list all
the entries that have to be remove, then you'll have to remove them by
hand in your production domain.

Cheers,

Denis

--
Denis Cardon
Tranquil IT Systems

Re: Cannot remove offline domain

Samba - General mailing list
Hi Denis

You are right I joined the domain as RODC which is now offline and I have
deleted the VM.

Can you please enlighten me on how to

know which entries to delete, How to demote a RWDC in a testbed, it will
list all the entries that have to be remove, then you'll have to remove
them by hand in your production domain.

Sent from my iPhone

Hi Harsh,