Can't join Win10 to Samba 3.6,23

Samba - General mailing list
Hi folk,

at work I live into a NT-Style domain powered by samba 3.6.23. I am the
admin but not the deployer: I am the ICT manager from July 3th only...

The upgrade to samba 4 is planned for 1Q18.

Here is my problem: I have to join some new PCs running Windows 10 to
our domain. According to "Required setting for Samba NT4 domains" page
on wiki, I perform the step described on the section "Joining windows 7
and later etc etc".

After reboot I continue to be not able to join domain and Windows return
this error: "Unable to contact an Active Directory domain controller for
the domain "MIODOMINIO"" (this is translated from italian by me, I am
not sure it is the original english message).

On LDAP I created an entry for each of the new PCs

On windows side, settings for TCP/IP v4 are:

DNS server address is set to server running samba (that resolves
correctly the names, intranet and Internet ones)

WINS server address is set to server running samba; on linux runs nmbd,
of course.

NetBIOS setting is set on "enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP".

Where I am wrong?

Thanks for any suggest

Giovanni

Re: Can't join Win10 to Samba 3.6,23

Samba - General mailing list
Hi Giovanni ,

Am 27.07.2017 um 15:10 schrieb Info Cambria via samba:
> at work I live into a NT-Style domain powered by samba 3.6.23. I am the
> admin but not the deployer: I am the ICT manager from July 3th only...
>
> The upgrade to samba 4 is planned for 1Q18.

When you say you planned to upgrade to "samba 4", do you mean:
* I will migrate the domain from NT4 to AD
or
* I keep the NT4 domain, but I will install a
  more recent Samba version?

I understand that you can't easily migrate to AD, however, you should
really consider updating Samba to the latest version.

Samba 3.6.23 was released 1 1/4 year before Win10 was available. Win10
works with NT4 domains if you use a recent Samba version and follow our
Wiki documentation.

Regards,
Marc

Re: Can't join Win10 to Samba 3.6,23

I usually apply the following .reg file before joining windows 7/8.1/10
systems to a samba 3.6.x NT-style domain:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters]
"DomainCompatibilityMode"=dword:00000001
"DNSNameResolutionRequired"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System]
"SlowLinkDetectEnabled"=dword:00000000
"WaitForNetwork"=dword:00000000

Maybe that helps. I figured out many years ago, so don't ask me for the
reason of each of the settings: I can't remember.

regards,
Norbert

On 27.07.2017 15:10, Info Cambria via samba wrote:

> Hi folk,
>
> at work I live into a NT-Style domain powered by samba 3.6.23. I am
> the admin but not the deployer: I am the ICT manager from July 3th
> only...
>
> The upgrade to samba 4 is planned for 1Q18.
>
> Here is my problem: I have to join some new PCs running Windows 10 to
> our domain. According to "Required setting for Samba NT4 domains" page
> on wiki, I perform the step described on the section "Joining windows
> 7 and later etc etc".
>
> After reboot I continue to be not able to join domain and Windows
> return this error: "Unable to contact an Active Directory domain
> controller for the domain "MIODOMINIO"" (this is translated from
> italian by me, I am not sure it is the original english message).
>
> On LDAP I created an entry for each of the new PCs
>
> On windows side, settings for TCP/IP v4 are:
>
> DNS server address is set to server running samba (that resolves
> correctly the names, intranet and Internet ones)
>
> WINS server address is set to server running samba; on linux runs
> nmbd, of course.
>
> NetBIOS setting is set on "enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP".
>

> Where I am wrong?
>

> Thanks for any suggest
>

> Giovanni

[SOLVED] Can't join Win10 to Samba 3.6,23

Hi all,

many thanks to Norbert: his hack works great!

Really, I hacked Win registry before ask for the Samba list, but only
the 1st and the 2nd rows: I missed the last two.

Anyhow, I very happy now ;-)

@Marc:

I mean the first one: migrate from NT4-Style to AD, Samba4 powered of
course.

I believe to understand it will be a great problem... Is there a
step-by-step guide on Wiki?

Thanks again

G.

Il 27/07/2017 15:10, Info Cambria via samba ha scritto:

> Hi folk,
>
> at work I live into a NT-Style domain powered by samba 3.6.23. I am
> the admin but not the deployer: I am the ICT manager from July 3th
> only...
>
> The upgrade to samba 4 is planned for 1Q18.
>
> Here is my problem: I have to join some new PCs running Windows 10 to
> our domain. According to "Required setting for Samba NT4 domains" page
> on wiki, I perform the step described on the section "Joining windows
> 7 and later etc etc".
>
> After reboot I continue to be not able to join domain and Windows
> return this error: "Unable to contact an Active Directory domain
> controller for the domain "MIODOMINIO"" (this is translated from
> italian by me, I am not sure it is the original english message).
>
> On LDAP I created an entry for each of the new PCs
>
> On windows side, settings for TCP/IP v4 are:
>
> DNS server address is set to server running samba (that resolves
> correctly the names, intranet and Internet ones)
>
> WINS server address is set to server running samba; on linux runs
> nmbd, of course.
>
> NetBIOS setting is set on "enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP".
>

> Where I am wrong?
>

> Thanks for any suggest
>

> Giovanni

Re: [SOLVED] Can't join Win10 to Samba 3.6,23

Samba - General mailing list

That solution can be found also :
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Required_Settings_for_Samba_NT4_Domains#Windows_10:_There_Are_Currently_No_Logon_Servers_Available_to_Service_the_Logon_Request

@Marc
Maybe is good to add the slow network fix also on the wiki page (above)

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System]
"SlowLinkDetectEnabled"=dword:00000000
"WaitForNetwork"=dword:00000000

Samba 4 AD DC setup's are also adviced to to set this through GPO.
Some extra info on this, if this is already setup and you still get the "No logon Servers Available"
There are known problems with some realtek drivers and intel drivers, upgrade these first.

> @Marc:
>
> I mean the first one: migrate from NT4-Style to AD, Samba4
> powered of course.
>
> I believe to understand it will be a great problem... Is
> there a step-by-step guide on Wiki?

Yes, you can find it here.
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Migrating_a_Samba_NT4_Domain_to_Samba_AD_(Classic_Upgrade)

> Thanks again
>
> G.

And thank for reporting back, most welkom and very appriciated.

Greetz,

Louis

Am 28.07.2017 um 09:24 schrieb Info Cambria via samba:
> I mean the first one: migrate from NT4-Style to AD, Samba4 powered of
> course.

Anyway, you should really consider updating your NT4 domain to a recent
Samba version - especially if you want to use it with the latest Windows
versions.

No need to migrate to AD:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Updating_Samba#Misconceptions_About_Samba_4

> I believe to understand it will be a great problem... Is there a
> step-by-step guide on Wiki?

The migration doc is not in a good shape, but it works:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Migrating_a_Samba_NT4_Domain_to_Samba_AD_(Classic_Upgrade)
When I have time, I will refresh it.

And there is a lot more great documentation in our Wiki:
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/User_Documentation

Regards,
Marc

Am 28.07.2017 um 09:36 schrieb L.P.H. van Belle via samba:
> Maybe is good to add the slow network fix also on the wiki page (above)
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System]
> "SlowLinkDetectEnabled"=dword:00000000
> "WaitForNetwork"=dword:00000000
>
> Samba 4 AD DC setup's are also adviced to to set this through GPO.

I read this the first time. In the past I only set this when I had
problems with roaming profiles over WAN connections.

I think this is not something we should recommend to set in general. I
mean it's not the default on Windows and seem only to be necessary in
some cases. If this is required for Samba, we may have a bug.

Does anyone run an NT4 domain using a recent Samba version (4.5 or
later) on the PDC and can confirm that without these settings Win10
clients can't log on?

Regards,
Marc

On 07/28/17 08:50, Marc Muehlfeld via samba wrote:

> Am 28.07.2017 um 09:36 schrieb L.P.H. van Belle via samba:
>> Maybe is good to add the slow network fix also on the wiki page (above)
>>
>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\System]
>> "SlowLinkDetectEnabled"=dword:00000000
>> "WaitForNetwork"=dword:00000000
>>
>> Samba 4 AD DC setup's are also adviced to to set this through GPO.
> I read this the first time. In the past I only set this when I had
> problems with roaming profiles over WAN connections.
>
> I think this is not something we should recommend to set in general. I
> mean it's not the default on Windows and seem only to be necessary in
> some cases. If this is required for Samba, we may have a bug.
>

> Does anyone run an NT4 domain using a recent Samba version (4.5 or
> later) on the PDC and can confirm that without these settings Win10
> clients can't log on?
>

> Regards,
> Marc

As a slight tangent-  if you have upgraded from Samba 3.x to 4.x, check
your min and max protocol settings.  Samba 4 adds support for SMB3 but
you may need to set max protocol to SMB2 for Win 10 support.  Win 7
doesn't use SMB3 so won't try to use it even if enabled on the server.
Window 10 and Samba 4 don't seem to negotiate SMB3 properly - at least
with versions I tested. You don't want to upgrade from Samba 3 to 4 and
inadvertently add new variables.

Re: [SOLVED] Can't join Win10 to Samba 3.6,23

Hai Marc,

Agree, is not mainstream to set both these settings but it is recommended to set: Always wait for network

The why:
When a user turns on the computer, the system applies computer policy.
When a user logs on interactively, the system loads the user profile, then applies user policy

Now, if you dont set wait for network,...
I apply a new (user) policy, which should block something, does not matter what.

I login, (network not ready), so cached login, what i did set is not applied (yet).
So we have some time to "hack" the local system.
And same for the computer policy. I also use the setting to make sure the profiles are loaded.

So.. What exact happens. ( after the ICMP client ping to server, detections etc.. )
When this policy is enabled, foreground processing switches from asynchronous to synchronous.
This means that computer and user policy must run to completion before the user gets control of the computer and desktop.
However, it can also be beneficial because it gets around the problem of requiring two,
or more restarts or logons for software installations and folder redirection policy to take effect.

I can recommend the "Always wait for network" setting.
I dont recommend the Detect Slow network.

My set:
In GPO(1), for local network computers: "Always wait for network" Enabled.
In GPO(2), for laptop computers: "Always wait for network" disabled.

Laptops and normal computer have a different GPO set, laptops are configured for cached logins, etc.
Optional, Specify a maximum wait time for GPO scripts also.

Ow and Marc, this is not a samba thing but a windows thing.
So no worries ;-)

Greetz,

Louis