Can access share by two different names .... Just one is configured.

Can access share by two different names .... Just one is configured.

I have a samba 4.6 member server joined to an 4.6 AD. There is a share named [videosupport2] with access rights for a user Videosupport.

Now I’m able to connect to the share from an macOS client by share name videosupport2 AND just videosupport without the „2“ at the end ….

Any hints why?

        Regards . Götz

Re: Can access share by two different names .... Just one is configured.

Samba - General mailing list
On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 12:03:30 +0100
Götz Reinicke via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a samba 4.6 member server joined to an 4.6 AD. There is a
> share named [videosupport2] with access rights for a user
> Videosupport.
>
> Now I’m able to connect to the share from an macOS client by share
> name videosupport2 AND just videosupport without the „2“ at the end ….
>
> Any hints why?

Any chance you can give us a big hint by posting your smb.conf ?

Re: Can access share by two different names .... Just one is configured.

Samba - General mailing list
On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 15:02:23 +0100
Götz Reinicke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What part is of interested? I removed unneeded shares (and there is
> no other *video* something share)

I removed the commented lines etc (and there is another *video* share)

> [global]
>    workgroup = FILMAKADEMIE
>    security = ads
>    realm = FILMAKADEMIE.DE
> client ipc signing = auto
>    winbind use default domain = true
>    winbind offline logon = false
>
>         idmap config * : backend = tdb
>         idmap config * : range = 1000000-1999999
>         idmap config FILMAKADEMIE : backend  = ad
>         idmap config FILMAKADEMIE : unix_nss_info = yes
>         idmap config FILMAKADEMIE : unix_primary_group = yes
>         idmap config FILMAKADEMIE : range = 1-999999

Starting the DOMAIN IDs at '1' is never a good idea, you have just
wiped out the local system users & groups and the normal local Unix
users & groups.

I see from the above that you are trying to use the winbind 'ad'
backend, have you given your users in AD a uidNumber attribute
containing a number inside the '1-999999' range ? Have you also given
them a gidNumber attribute (inside the same range), this gidNumber will
be the the gidNumber for the users primary group.

> vfs objects = acl_xattr
> map acl inherit = yes
> store dos attributes = yes
>
> server string = Samba Server Banksy
> log file = /var/log/samba/smb.log.%U
> max log size = 200000
> log level = 5 passdb:5 auth:5 winbind:5
>
> load printers = no
> cups options = raw
>
> printing = bsd
> printcap name = /dev/null
> disable spoolss = yes
>
> [homes]
> comment = Home Directories
> browseable = no
> writable = yes

This is where the 'videosupport' share is coming from i.e.
'videosupport's home directory. Which I have the sinking feeling is
'/home/abteilungen/videosupport'

> [videosupport2]
>  copy = template_01
>  path = /home/abteilungen/videosupport
>  write list = videosupport
>  valid users = videosupport

Re: Can access share by two different names .... Just one is configured. - Solved

Samba - General mailing list

> Am 28.11.2017 um 15:38 schrieb Rowland Penny via samba <[hidden email]>:
>
> On Tue, 28 Nov 2017 15:02:23 +0100
> Götz Reinicke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> <…>
>>
>> [homes]
>> comment = Home Directories
>> browseable = no
>> writable = yes
>>

> This is where the 'videosupport' share is coming from i.e.
> 'videosupport's home directory. Which I have the sinking feeling is
> '/home/abteilungen/videosupport‘
Bingo :-/ … the home directory is indeed that path … but should be it only on an other server … so someone mixed some settings.

Thanks for your help . Case closed . Regards . Götz