Can I update our CIFS kernel module to support SMB 2.1/3 in RHEL/CentOS 6.x?

Can I update our CIFS kernel module to support SMB 2.1/3 in RHEL/CentOS 6.x?

At my company we run server farms based on RHEL/CentOS 6.x and are nowhere near our EOL on those servers yet.  So upgrading them to run RHEL/CentOS 7 in order to gain SMB 2/3 support (since SMB 1 has recently been disabled) is a difficult path for us to take at the present time.

Is it possible to acquire an updated cifs.ko kernel driver that supports SMB 2.1+ or 3 and install and use that module with our existing RHEL/CentOS 6.x server installations?

Re: Can I update our CIFS kernel module to support SMB 2.1/3 in RHEL/CentOS 6.x?

Why not just upgrade your kernel? Upgrading the whole is an option I agree
with that but isn't it a bit rough when a simple kernel upgrade is
sufficient?

On Mon, 2017-07-24 at 14:01 -0400, DW LNDeveloper via samba wrote:
> Hi,
> At my company we run server farms based on RHEL/CentOS 6.x and are nowhere near our EOL on those
> servers yet.  So upgrading them to run RHEL/CentOS 7 in order to gain SMB 2/3 support (since SMB 1
> has recently been disabled) is a difficult path for us to take at the present time.
>
> Is it possible to acquire an updated cifs.ko kernel driver that supports SMB 2.1+ or 3 and install
> and use that module with our existing RHEL/CentOS 6.x server installations?

I would say NO. Because linux CIFS kernel module is also dependent on the kernel itself. For
example, some of the debugging infrastructure is built into the module based on what is currently
available with the kernel. So merely replacing an old cifs.ko with a new one might end up in
unexpected behaviours unless you are very sure about the changes that comes with the new version of
the module.

Anoop C S.

Re: Can I update our CIFS kernel module to support SMB 2.1/3 in RHEL/CentOS 6.x?

On Mon, Jul 24, 2017 at 2:01 PM, DW LNDeveloper via samba
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
> At my company we run server farms based on RHEL/CentOS 6.x and are nowhere near our EOL on those servers yet.  So upgrading them to run RHEL/CentOS 7 in order to gain SMB 2/3 support (since SMB 1 has recently been disabled) is a difficult path for us to take at the present time.
>
> Is it possible to acquire an updated cifs.ko kernel driver that supports SMB 2.1+ or 3 and install and use that module with our existing RHEL/CentOS 6.x server installations?

I think you're going to hurt yourself expecting more recent kernel and
software features on a 6 year old base operating system. The upstream
operating system, RHEL 6, is now on "security patches only" support,
and isn't getting reliable hardware compatibility updates, and
supports only samba-3.6.x natively. It's time to hold your news and
start upgrading, which will be *much* easier if you haven't started
relying on modified hand-installed kernels or backported Samba. Going
to CentOS 7 will get you a much updated kernel and a much updated
samba-4.4.x.

"Just install a new kernel" or installing a custom module is something
I've done on occasion since.... 1999. It sounds *great* and it works
on the developer's laptop where the system doesn't have to stay alive
more than 20 minutes for them to insist on publishing it to
production. It's very dangerous when you've not done, or don't have
the tools to do, a good regression test and burnin for a system under
load.

The Samba 4 upgrade, alone is worth pursuing and getting CentOS 7
started for your environment, in my opinion.

Re: Can I update our CIFS kernel module to support SMB 2.1/3 in RHEL/CentOS 6.x?

Thanks for the feedback. It does seem to be problematic to recompile the newer code against the older kernel code. I assumed most or all of the kernel APIs used by Samba would have been the same, but hadn't thought about changes to debugging calls. Also, upgrading only the kernel to a new major version without recompiling the myriad packages sitting on top could have similar results.

After sending my original post, I discovered my company had already deployed some CentOS 7 servers in a cloud farm. This makes it much easier to request additional hosts for this project, so it looks like we'll be taking the full upgrade route.

Hi,