Can I let rsync only transer a part of file within specific byte ranges?

Can I let rsync only transer a part of file within specific byte ranges?

Hongyi Zhao
Hi all,

Suppose I have a file on the remote rsync server:

rsync://path/to/myfile

And I want to only retrieve a part of the file based a ranges of bytes to
my local host, say, 0-499, means only transfer the first 500 bytes of
that file.

Is this possible with rsync client?

Regards
--
.: Hongyi Zhao [ hongyi.zhao AT gmail.com ] Free as in Freedom :.

Re: Can I let rsync only transer a part of file within specific byte ranges?

Ken Chase
rsync doesnt do that....

why not use a range get with http server and wget client, or just ssh

ssh remotehost 'dd if=file bs=500 count=1' > file ?

/kc

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 11:02:36AM +0000, Hongyi Zhao said:
  >Hi all,
  >
  >Suppose I have a file on the remote rsync server:
  >
  >rsync://path/to/myfile
  >
  >And I want to only retrieve a part of the file based a ranges of bytes to
  >my local host, say, 0-499, means only transfer the first 500 bytes of
  >that file.
  >
  >Is this possible with rsync client?
  >
  >Regards
  >--
  >.: Hongyi Zhao [ hongyi.zhao AT gmail.com ] Free as in Freedom :.
  >
  >--

Ken Chase - [hidden email] skype:kenchase23 +1 416 897 6284 Toronto Canada
Heavy Computing - Clued bandwidth, colocation and managed linux VPS @151 Front St. W.