Bad description for --ignore-errors in man page

Bad description for --ignore-errors in man page

Angelos Ching
Hi there,

I was figuring out a way to copy as much files as possible off a corrupted file system using rsync, then I came across this —ignore-errors flag which is described on man page as:
If the sending side detects any I/O errors, then the deletion of any  files  at the destination will be automatically disabled. This is to prevent temporary filesystem failures (such as NFS errors) on the sending side causing a massive deletion of files on the destination. You can override this with the --ignore-errors option.

But then I came across a bug report on Debian’s tracker: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=181805

And I tested it personally, it makes rsync continue even when the underlying file system is encountering errors, copying whatever it can. Before I applied the flag, rsync just exit with error after copying a few files.

So maybe the man page can get some updates on what the flag —ignore-errors actually does and gives user clearer indication on the flag.

Best regards,
Angelos