August 2017 CLUG Meeting

Samba - linux mailing list
Canberra Linux Users Group Meeting - August 2017

 Date:          24th August 2017 (Fourth Thursday of the month)

 Time:         18:00 - 18:55

 Abstract:     It's BeerSIG time!
               'What's BeerSIG?' I hear you ask! BeerSIG is a social
               gathering, and an opportunity to get together with
               like minded people and share a social pint.

 Location:     Wig and Pen, Llewellyn Hall, Canberra School of Music
               Look for the table with a stuffed toy penguin

Time:          19:00 - 21:00 (or when it finishes)

Title:       Introduction to version control with Git - Steve Walsh

               Git is a version control system developed by Linus
               Torvalds for development of the linux kernel.

               Steve will cover some basics concepts around the idea
               behind version control, and then move into the features
               and possible benefits of using git over other Source
               Code Management (SCM) tools

               This talk will range from introductory level to some
               higher level concepts.

 Venue:        Room N101
               Computer Science and Information Technology Building
               North Road
               The Australian National University

               See http://clug.org.au/ for more directions and a map

 Food/drink:   Pizza and soft drink/juice. Come hungry, and bring
               about $6 to cover the cost of your share if you
               want some.

September Meeting - 28th September 2017 (Fourth Thursday of the month)

BeerSIG and Pizza night! No formal meeting, people are welcome to come
along for either a beer at the Wig and Pen, or Pizza afterwards at GUILD.

Re: August 2017 CLUG Meeting

Samba - linux mailing list
On Sun, Aug 20, 2017 at 06:30:01PM +1000, Steve Walsh via linux wrote:

> Time:          19:00 - 21:00 (or when it finishes)
>
> Title:       Introduction to version control with Git - Steve Walsh
>
>       Git is a version control system developed by Linus
>                Torvalds for development of the linux kernel.
>
>                Steve will cover some basics concepts around the idea
>                behind version control, and then move into the features
>                and possible benefits of using git over other Source
>                Code Management (SCM) tools
>
>                This talk will range from introductory level to some
>                higher level concepts.

Shame I will miss this month, sounds interesting. There is even some local
interest stuff in Git as it could easily be argued Tridge's presentation
about bitkeeper reverse engineering at linux.conf.au 2005 gave the push
to the kernel to go use something different and Linus invented Git. (the
push bveing Bitkeeper free open source project use licence being revoked)

Source Code Management tools are good, hope this helps convince people who
do not realise their awesomeness that they are indeed so.

        See You
            Steve

--
Steven Hanley [hidden email] http://svana.org/sjh/diary
so we're led by denial like lambs to the slaughter