Advice on Winbindd and NTLM Auth Performance

Advice on Winbindd and NTLM Auth Performance

Samba - General mailing list
Hi All,

I am using winbind and ntlm auth in Freeradius. At the moment that seems to
be a major bottleneck. It seems like the ntlm_auth execution is taking a
while , what all options can improve this .

For starters adding TCP_NODELAY in smb.conf seems to have helped a little.

Many Thanks

Re: Advice on Winbindd and NTLM Auth Performance

Samba - General mailing list
Hai,

Is suggest, post you OS info and smb.conf that helps.

Greetz,

Louis

Hi Louis,

Yes of course that would help duh! apologies the OS is fedora 25 Samba
version samba-4.5.10-0.fc25.x86_64

smb.conf

server string = Samba Server MY-NETWORKS
hosts allow = 127.
log file = /var/log/samba/log-MY-NETWORKS.%m
log level = 0
max log size = 50

security = ads
encrypt passwords = yes
passdb backend = tdbsam
load printers = no
cups options = raw
printcap name = /dev/null
allow trusted domains = yes
ntlm auth = yes

WORKGROUP=MY-NETWORKS
REALM=my-networks.com
password server = x.x.x.x y.y.y.y
pid directory = /var/run/samba/my-networks.com
lock directory = /var/cache/samba/my-networks.com
private dir = /var/cache/samba/my-networks.com
winbindd socket directory = /var/cache/samba/my-networks.com
winbindd privileged socket directory = /var/cache/samba/
my-networks.com/winbindd_privileged
smb passwd file = /var/cache/samba/my-networks.com
state directory = /var/cache/samba/my-networks.com
cache directory = /var/cache/samba/my-networks.com
ntp signd socket directory = /var/cache/samba/my-networks.com
winbind offline logon = true

socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
getwd cache winbind
max domain connections = 250
winbind max clients = 5000

My question can I cache the logins or do something to speed things up ?

TIA

On Fri, 2017-09-01 at 10:36 +0100, Arnab Roy via samba wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am using winbind and ntlm auth in Freeradius. At the moment that seems to
> be a major bottleneck. It seems like the ntlm_auth execution is taking a
> while , what all options can improve this .

What is your DC, and how far away it it network-wise?

Have you tried setting
winbind max domain connections = 10
and
winbind offline logon = no
(actually the default, but you might have set it without realising it
doesn't help with NTLM authentication).

> For starters adding TCP_NODELAY in smb.conf seems to have helped a little.

That is unlikely to be at all related.

NTLM authentication has to be checked at the DC, so it can't be cached.

Re: Advice on Winbindd and NTLM Auth Performance

ok, i suggest, you start here.

Now i can type out a correct config, below is missing multiple things.
So i preffer you read above, adjust and post the smb.conf again (! before you apply it on the server)
As pointer, where are the IDMAP lines for example.

This way, we can tell whats still wrong, and why, and this should result in a better understanding for you.
and in the end a small and good smb.conf.

Last, if your able to upgrade to Fedora 26, you get samba 4.6.7, which i really advice.

[...]

winbindd privileged socket directory = /var/cache/samba/my-networks.com/winbindd_privileged
smb passwd file = /var/cache/samba/my-networks.com
state directory = /var/cache/samba/my-networks.com
cache directory = /var/cache/samba/my-networks.com
ntp signd socket directory = /var/cache/samba/my-networks.com
winbind offline logon = true

socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
getwd cache winbind
max domain connections = 250
winbind max clients = 5000

My question can I cache the logins or do something to speed things up ?

TIA

On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 10:43 AM, L.P.H. van Belle via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hai,

Is suggest, post you OS info and smb.conf that helps.

Greetz,

Louis

On Fri, 1 Sep 2017 10:52:44 +0100
Arnab Roy via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Louis,
>
> Yes of course that would help duh! apologies the OS is fedora 25 Samba
> version samba-4.5.10-0.fc25.x86_64
>
> smb.conf
>
> server string = Samba Server MY-NETWORKS
> hosts allow = 127.
> log file = /var/log/samba/log-MY-NETWORKS.%m
> log level = 0
> max log size = 50
>
> security = ads
> encrypt passwords = yes
> passdb backend = tdbsam
> load printers = no
> cups options = raw
> printcap name = /dev/null
> allow trusted domains = yes
> ntlm auth = yes
>
> WORKGROUP=MY-NETWORKS
> REALM=my-networks.com
> password server = x.x.x.x y.y.y.y
> pid directory = /var/run/samba/my-networks.com
> lock directory = /var/cache/samba/my-networks.com
> private dir = /var/cache/samba/my-networks.com
> winbindd socket directory = /var/cache/samba/my-networks.com
> winbindd privileged socket directory = /var/cache/samba/
> my-networks.com/winbindd_privileged
> smb passwd file = /var/cache/samba/my-networks.com
> state directory = /var/cache/samba/my-networks.com
> cache directory = /var/cache/samba/my-networks.com
> ntp signd socket directory = /var/cache/samba/my-networks.com
> winbind offline logon = true
>
> socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
> getwd cache winbind
> max domain connections = 250
> winbind max clients = 5000
>
> My question can I cache the logins or do something to speed things
> up ?

You could try setting up Samba correctly, even allowing for the fact
you are using sssd (not supported by Samba), there is a lot there that
shouldn't be there, see here:

Re: Advice on Winbindd and NTLM Auth Performance

Samba - General mailing list
Hello Everyone,

Thanks for your inputs I have followed whats here https://wiki.freeradius.
org/guide/Active-Directory-direct-via-winbind . Apart from the different
location for the directories. I have added the recommended options in samba.

However I cannot see why this would make a difference to performance.

The guide for setting up a samba domain member seems more to be aimed at
the whole samba stack I only need winbind is that not correct?

Apologies I'm new to samba.

Many Thanks
Arnab

On Fri, 2017-09-01 at 23:30 +0100, Arnab Roy via samba wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> Thanks for your inputs I have followed whats here https://wiki.freeradius.
> org/guide/Active-Directory-direct-via-winbind . Apart from the different
> location for the directories. I have added the recommended options in samba.
>
> However I cannot see why this would make a difference to performance.

To be clear, what options do you now have set?

Have you set the options I recommended?  The

winbind max domain connections = 10

option should make a major difference, as it allows multiple
authentications to occur in parallel.

If Samba is also the AD DC, then newer Samba versions (Samba 4.7 in
particular) make the sever-side process (NETLOGON) parallel as well.

Andrew Bartlett--

Re: Advice on Winbindd and NTLM Auth Performance

On Fri, 1 Sep 2017 23:30:53 +0100
Arnab Roy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> Thanks for your inputs I have followed whats here
> https://wiki.freeradius.org/guide/Active-Directory-direct-via-winbind
> Apart from the different location for the directories. I have added
> the recommended options in samba.

That howto seems to have been dated even when it was written and you
haven't added all the 'recommended options'.
The howto tells you to add these lines:

 idmap uid = 16777216-33554431
 idmap gid = 16777216-33554431

These were marked as deprecated on 3.6 and you should be using lines
like these:

    idmap config *:backend = tdb
    idmap config *:range = 2000-9999
    idmap config SAMDOM : backend = rid
    idmap config SAMDOM : range = 10000-999999

Without these lines, winbind doesn't know who your users & groups are.

Or are you using sssd ?
If so, then Samba isn't doing authentication.

Re: Advice on Winbindd and NTLM Auth Performance

Samba - General mailing list
Hi Rowland,

The only thing I'm using is winbindd the smbd and nmbd daemons are disabled.

However I have now found the bottleneck is because freeradius is calling
the ntlm_auth binary and effectively forking out.

The guys at freeradius wrote a direct client libwbclient however their is
no way of specifying the winbind privileged path using that method as it's
hardcoded during compile time.

Why does samba hardcode this on all client applications is beyond my little
knowledge :(

Many Thanks
Arnab

On Sun, 2017-09-03 at 22:34 +0100, Arnab Roy via samba wrote:

> Hi Rowland,
>
> The only thing I'm using is winbindd the smbd and nmbd daemons are
> disabled.
>
> However I have now found the bottleneck is because freeradius is
> calling
> the ntlm_auth binary and effectively forking out.
>
> The guys at freeradius wrote a direct client libwbclient however
> their is
> no way of specifying the winbind privileged path using that method as
> it's
> hardcoded during compile time.
>
> Why does samba hardcode this on all client applications is beyond my
> little
> knowledge :(

The libwbclient library is used in a privileged context (su, via
pam_winbind) so we can't safely runtime configure it.  If you want a
different path, specify it at build time.

https://samba.org/~abartlet/
Authentication Developer, Samba Team         https://samba.org
https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba

Re: Advice on Winbindd and NTLM Auth Performance

Samba - General mailing list
Yes sure somehow my mail client switched from a reply all.

On 3 Sep 2017 23:54, "Andrew Bartlett" <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Sun, 2017-09-03 at 23:22 +0100, Arnab Roy wrote:

Hi Andrew,

G'Day,

Please keep replies on the list so others can also be part of the
conversation.

Andrew Bartletthttps://samba.org/~abartlet/
Authentication Developer, Samba Team         https://samba.org
https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba

Re: Advice on Winbindd and NTLM Auth Performance

Anyone on how to get libwbclient some kind of runtime parameter from smb
conf?

On 3 Sep 2017 23:22, "Arnab Roy" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wouldn't it be nice if the end user had a choice . Why would it be unsafe
> considering all the info is in smb.conf and it just needs to read like all
> other samba processes like smbd or nmbd?
>
> The problem I have got here is that my radius needs to talk to multiple
> disjoint ad domains hence runs multiple winbind instances.
>
> Any chance you can point me to the code where the socket lookup happens in
> libwbclient? May be i just need to create a local patch.
>
> Thanks for your input thus far.
>
> Arnab
>
> On 3 Sep 2017 11:06 pm, "Andrew Bartlett" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 2017-09-03 at 22:34 +0100, Arnab Roy via samba wrote:
>> > Hi Rowland,
>> >
>> > The only thing I'm using is winbindd the smbd and nmbd daemons are
>> > disabled.
>> >
>> > However I have now found the bottleneck is because freeradius is
>> > calling
>> > the ntlm_auth binary and effectively forking out.
>> >
>> > The guys at freeradius wrote a direct client libwbclient however
>> > their is
>> > no way of specifying the winbind privileged path using that method as
>> > it's
>> > hardcoded during compile time.
>> >
>> > Why does samba hardcode this on all client applications is beyond my
>> > little
>> > knowledge :(
>>
>> The libwbclient library is used in a privileged context (su, via
>> pam_winbind) so we can't safely runtime configure it.  If you want a
>> different path, specify it at build time.
>>
>> Andrew Bartlett
>> --
>> Andrew Bartlett
>> https://samba.org/~abartlet/
>> Authentication Developer, Samba Team         https://samba.org
>> Samba Development and Support, Catalyst IT
>> https://catalyst.net.nz/services/samba

Re: Advice on Winbindd and NTLM Auth Performance

Samba - General mailing list
Hi ,

I have not yet received the reason why libwbclient doesn't honour the paths
mentioned in the smb.conf file.

This is making my current deployment scenario unusable.

Can some one look at the source and post some comments on this ?

Many Thanks
Arnab