Adding a Windows Server 2008 as a DC to the domain fails

Adding a Windows Server 2008 as a DC to the domain fails

 I have a samba domain based on Samba version 4.7.4 compiled from sources
running on Debian Stretch v 9.3.   The domain is working fine, but when I try to
add another DC (a Windows Server 2008 Standard Edition) using the Wiki at
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Joining_a_Windows_Server_2008_/_2008_R2_DC_to_a
_Samba_AD it fails with the error:

"The operation failed because:
The functional level of the domain or forest is incompatible with this operating
system...."

I have tried with a Windows Server 2008 R2 version and that works OK, but cannot
get the one without the R2 upgrade to join.

Any help please?

Thanks,

Roy Eastwood

Re: Adding a Windows Server 2008 as a DC to the domain fails

Samba - General mailing list
Hai Roy,

What happens if you disable smb1 in win 2008, reboot and try again.
In powershell run :

Get-WindowsFeature FS-SMB1
Disable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName smb1protocol

Greetz,

Louis

Hi Louis,
Thanks you for your quick answer.

> Hai Roy,
>
> What happens if you disable smb1 in win 2008, reboot and try again.
> In powershell run :
>
> Get-WindowsFeature FS-SMB1
> Disable-WindowsOptionalFeature -Online -FeatureName smb1protocol

Unfortunately the command is not recognised - it would seem that the Server
Manager Command-line tools are not available on
Windows Server 2008, only on 2008 R2 upwards!   So I set the SMB1 DWORD value to
0 in the appropriate key in the registry to disable SMB1.
That did not help at all - same failure notice.

I checked the Forest/Domain functional level using "samba-tool domain level
show" and indeed it is set to 2008 R2.
There doesn't seem to be  any command to lower the Functional Levels in samba.
However, I found this:
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/aman/2012/12/28/step-by-step-guide-to-lower-
active-directory-functional-level/

Would this work?   For example, if I re-join my Windows 2008 R2 machine as a DC,
lower the functional levels of the forest & domain,
join my 2008 machine, then demote the 2008 R2 DC?

> Greetz,
>
> Louis

Thanks,

Roy

Re: Adding a Windows Server 2008 as a DC to the domain fails

Samba - General mailing list
Hai Roy,

Hmm, i dont know for sure, but based on my google magic, i say your correct.
Lowering the samba DC domain level should help you out.

If someone can confirm this, thanks!
But i must mention.
Adding a "unsupported" ms 2008 server as dc...  wil cost you ms licenses..

I suggest if possible, add a new samba AD DC.
Add the windows server as member, and you dont have to lower the domain level.

Greetz,

Louis

Many thanks.   Yes, I think I'll stick with samba DCs as you say.
Cheers,
Roy