Access to Windows 2016 server works with IP but not with netbios name

Access to Windows 2016 server works with IP but not with netbios name

I have a customer who is able to access shares using the IP address of the
Samba server (running 3.6.x - sorry, can't upgrade) but when they try to
access the share using the short (netbios) name, they get "access denied"
and are prompted for a username/password.

Where would I look to figure out what's going wrong?

Thanks,

Rob

Re: Access to Windows 2016 server works with IP but not with netbios name

Samba - General mailing list
Can you clarify -  are they trying to access the samba server from a Win
2016 machine?     Is this a classic domain or AD domain?

Do you have a WINS server defined?      Can you access via a fully
qualified domain name (e.g. myserver.mydomain.com.)     I had an issue
several years back where users connecting over VPN could access by IP
but not my short name.       The problem was that the VPN was blocking
at least some netbios traffic (137-139) which meant that anything
relying on netbios names failed.    If you could connect via IP address
of fully qualified domain  name then you were by passing netbios name
resolution issues and connecting directly to port 445.

I have run into several issues with classic domains with SMB3 and
Windows 10 (which presumably would apply to Win 2016 as well.) Windows
10 would try to negotiate SMBv3 with some servers and would fail.  (This
may have been samba 4 servers so I don't think this applies to you.)
I also had problems with Win 7 and Windows 2008 and SMB v2, especially
with multiple users connecting via remote desktop to Windows 2008.
The first use could map a drive but not successive users.        You may
want to explicitly set your samba servers to use SMB v2 as the max
protocol or even Samba 1.x.

I also run into an issue with drive mapping using short name vs long
name in a classic domain.   If my DNS domain is mycompany.com, and my
samba domain is  TECH, then if I may a drive to myserver.mydomain.com
there is a discrepancy between the Samba domain name and the DNS domain
name.     This didn't cause problems with Windows itself but it did with
Office 2013 after some updates.   Office would not open files determined
to be from an untrusted source.

I migrated away from a classic domain to a true AD domain so a lot of my
netbios and name resolution issues went away.

On 01/12/2018 10:19 AM, Rob Marshall via samba wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a customer who is able to access shares using the IP address of the
> Samba server (running 3.6.x - sorry, can't upgrade) but when they try to
> access the share using the short (netbios) name, they get "access denied"
> and are prompted for a username/password.
>
> Where would I look to figure out what's going wrong?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rob

Re: Access to Windows 2016 server works with IP but not with netbios name

Samba - General mailing list
The client is a Windows 2008 R2 server. I don't know what you mean by
classic vs. AD. I assume it's AD, but how would I check?

I see the same problem, i.e. "Access is denied" and a window to enter the
username/password, if I use the fully qualified name.

Thanks,

Rob

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 10:58 AM, Gaiseric Vandal via samba <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Can you clarify -  are they trying to access the samba server from a Win
> 2016 machine?     Is this a classic domain or AD domain?
>
> Do you have a WINS server defined?      Can you access via a fully
> qualified domain name (e.g. myserver.mydomain.com.)     I had an issue
> several years back where users connecting over VPN could access by IP but
> not my short name.       The problem was that the VPN was blocking at least
> some netbios traffic (137-139) which meant that anything relying on netbios
> names failed.    If you could connect via IP address of fully qualified
> domain  name then you were by passing netbios name resolution issues and
> connecting directly to port 445.
>

> I have run into several issues with classic domains with SMB3 and Windows
> 10 (which presumably would apply to Win 2016 as well.) Windows 10 would try
> to negotiate SMBv3 with some servers and would fail.  (This may have been
> samba 4 servers so I don't think this applies to you.)     I also had
> problems with Win 7 and Windows 2008 and SMB v2, especially with multiple
> users connecting via remote desktop to Windows 2008.      The first use
> could map a drive but not successive users.        You may want to
> explicitly set your samba servers to use SMB v2 as the max protocol or even
> Samba 1.x.
>

> I also run into an issue with drive mapping using short name vs long name
> in a classic domain.   If my DNS domain is mycompany.com, and my samba
> domain is  TECH, then if I may a drive to myserver.mydomain.com there is
> a discrepancy between the Samba domain name and the DNS domain name.
> This didn't cause problems with Windows itself but it did with Office 2013
> after some updates.   Office would not open files determined to be from an
> untrusted source.
>

> I migrated away from a classic domain to a true AD domain so a lot of my
> netbios and name resolution issues went away.
>

> On 01/12/2018 10:19 AM, Rob Marshall via samba wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a customer who is able to access shares using the IP address of the
>> Samba server (running 3.6.x - sorry, can't upgrade) but when they try to
>> access the share using the short (netbios) name, they get "access denied"
>> and are prompted for a username/password.
>>
>> Where would I look to figure out what's going wrong?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Rob

Re: Access to Windows 2016 server works with IP but not with netbios name

I just tried again and there's a window that says something about "looking
for credentials file..." that pops up before I get the "Access is denied"
and the login window. I don't know what that means, but since the window is
only there very briefly I probably missed it on my earlier attempts.

Thanks,

Rob

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 11:16 AM, Rob Marshall <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> [...]
>> after some updates.   Office would not open files determined to be from an
>> untrusted source.
>>

>> I migrated away from a classic domain to a true AD domain so a lot of my
>> netbios and name resolution issues went away.
>>

>> On 01/12/2018 10:19 AM, Rob Marshall via samba wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a customer who is able to access shares using the IP address of
>>> the
>>> Samba server (running 3.6.x - sorry, can't upgrade) but when they try to
>>> access the share using the short (netbios) name, they get "access denied"
>>> and are prompted for a username/password.
>>>
>>> Where would I look to figure out what's going wrong?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Rob

Re: Access to Windows 2016 server works with IP but not with netbios name

On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 11:20:37 -0500
Rob Marshall via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just tried again and there's a window that says something about
> "looking for credentials file..." that pops up before I get the
> "Access is denied" and the login window. I don't know what that
> means, but since the window is only there very briefly I probably
> missed it on my earlier attempts.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rob
>
> On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 11:16 AM, Rob Marshall
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > The client is a Windows 2008 R2 server. I don't know what you mean
> > by classic vs. AD. I assume it's AD, but how would I check?
> >
> > I see the same problem, i.e. "Access is denied" and a window to
> > enter the username/password, if I use the fully qualified name.

It might help if you posted the smb.conf from the Samba machine.

Re: Access to Windows 2016 server works with IP but not with netbios name

Samba - General mailing list
As well as what share... Are you trying to access the \\*\netlogon or
\\*\sysvol shares of a PDC?

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 8:25 AM, Rowland Penny via samba <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 11:20:37 -0500
> Rob Marshall via samba <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just tried again and there's a window that says something about
> > "looking for credentials file..." that pops up before I get the
> > "Access is denied" and the login window. I don't know what that
> > means, but since the window is only there very briefly I probably
> > missed it on my earlier attempts.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Rob
> >
> > On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 11:16 AM, Rob Marshall
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > > The client is a Windows 2008 R2 server. I don't know what you mean
> > > by classic vs. AD. I assume it's AD, but how would I check?
> > >
> > > I see the same problem, i.e. "Access is denied" and a window to
> > > enter the username/password, if I use the fully qualified name.
> > >

> It might help if you posted the smb.conf from the Samba machine.

Re: Access to Windows 2016 server works with IP but not with netbios name

Samba - General mailing list
On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 09:21:42 -0800
Luke Barone <[hidden email]> wrote:

> As well as what share... Are you trying to access the \\*\netlogon or
> \\*\sysvol shares of a PDC?

There wouldn't be a sysvol share on a PDC, or do you mean a DC ?

Re: Access to Windows 2016 server works with IP but not with netbios name

I'm working on getting copies of the smb.conf and log files off the site.
It's complicated...I'm just trying to connect to a share that's defined in
the smb.conf. If I open a Windows Explorer and do: \\10.x.x.x I see the
available shares and can click on them and open them. However if I do
\\fred, i.e. the short (I've also tried the fully qualified) name, I can
see the shares but I get the "Access is denied" and the logon window when I
try to open them.

Rob

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 12:29 PM, Rowland Penny via samba <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 09:21:42 -0800
> Luke Barone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > As well as what share... Are you trying to access the \\*\netlogon or
> > \\*\sysvol shares of a PDC?
> >

> There wouldn't be a sysvol share on a PDC, or do you mean a DC ?

Re: Access to Windows 2016 server works with IP but not with netbios name

In a perfect world, SysVol would be on an AD Domain Controller, but there
are people on here who do things out of the perfect world ;-)

If the answer was yes though, then I would be able to post the Reg Setting
to enable access from Windows 10 and above to those shares. I needed to
apply it as we are still running PDCs in almost every site. Trust me, I
can't wait to roll out AD

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 9:29 AM, Rowland Penny via samba <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 09:21:42 -0800
> Luke Barone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > As well as what share... Are you trying to access the \\*\netlogon or
> > \\*\sysvol shares of a PDC?
> >

> There wouldn't be a sysvol share on a PDC, or do you mean a DC ?

Re: Access to Windows 2016 server works with IP but not with netbios name

If Windows is the domain controller, then it is an AD domain.       If
you are running Samba 3 domain controller then it would be emulating an
NT4-type domain controller. I am presuming samba 3.x machine is
configured as a domain member?

Last year when the BADLOCK vulnerability came out, Microsoft issued
various patches that were likely to break compatibility with Samba
3.x.      Samba did not release a minor version upgrade for Samba 3.x to
include this patch.      So you would have to compile the patch your self.

You can run a WINS server on Windows or Samba.      WINS is the
equivalent of a DNS server for Netbios names in a TCP/IP environment.

Can you run "testparm -v" on your samba system?  You may  see

             smb ports = 445 139
             disable netbios = No
             wins server = (the ip address of your wins server, if you
have one)

I found in a classic samba domain, that explicitly setting the smb ports
value to 139 only created problems.    I don't know what would happen if
you set to 445 only.   I don't know if the "disable netbios" option is
available with samba 3.x.        I had a classic domain that I migrated
to an AD domain, but I haven't tried disabling all the netbios stuff
yet.     I would think if you could then this might get simpler.

You may also want to do some packet captures on the samba server to
compare compare connection attempts.

Assuming the client DNS is setup that both "ping shortname" and
"nslookup shortname" work?

What version OS is the samba system running on?

On 01/12/2018 11:16 AM, Rob Marshall wrote:

> [...]
>     untrusted source.
>

>     I migrated away from a classic domain to a true AD domain so a lot
>     of my netbios and name resolution issues went away.
>

>     On 01/12/2018 10:19 AM, Rob Marshall via samba wrote:
>
>         Hi,
>
>         I have a customer who is able to access shares using the IP
>         address of the
>         Samba server (running 3.6.x - sorry, can't upgrade) but when
>         they try to
>         access the share using the short (netbios) name, they get
>         "access denied"
>         and are prompted for a username/password.
>
>         Where would I look to figure out what's going wrong?
>
>         Thanks,
>
>         Rob

Re: Access to Windows 2016 server works with IP but not with netbios name

Here's a modified (to protect the customer's information) truncated
smb.conf that, for the most part, mirrors what they have:

[global]
        log level = 3
        os level = 1
        security = ADS
        server string = TEST CIFS Server
        workgroup = WG
        netbios name = FRED1
        realm = WB.DOM-NAME.COM
        idmap config * : range = 10000-20000
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        encrypt passwords = yes
        syslog = 1
        winbind enum users = no
        winbind enum groups = no
        winbind use default domain = yes
        wins support = yes
        printcap name = /dev/null
        socket options = SO_RCVBUF=65536 SO_SNDBUF=65536
        strict sync = yes
        oplocks = yes
        kernel oplocks = no
        wide links = yes
        deadtime = 1
        case sensitive = no
        map to guest = bad user
        guest account = nobody
        unix extensions = no

[TestShare]
        comment = Test Share for further testing
        path = /cifs/TestShare_test
        hosts allow =ALL
        hosts deny = ALL
        browseable = yes
        writeable = no
        directory mask = 0777
        force user = cifs_user
        guest ok = No
        valid users = @WG\dl_fred1_testshare_m, @WG\dl_fred1_testshare_r
        write list = @WG\dl_fred1_testshare_m

My questions are:

1) What does the error:

string_to_sid: SID @WG\dl_fred1_testshare_r is not in a valid format

mean?

2) For the connections using the NETBIOS name, I see lots of messages
similar to:

[2018/01/12 23:10:38.716169,  2]
smbd/service.c:627(create_connection_session_info)
  user 'WG\testuser01' (from session setup) not permitted to access
this share (TestShare)
[2018/01/12 23:10:38.716216,  1] smbd/service.c:805(make_connection_snum)
  create_connection_session_info failed: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED
[2018/01/12 23:10:38.716260,  3] smbd/error.c:81(error_packet_set)
  error packet at smbd/reply.c(803) cmd=117 (SMBtconX) NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

Given the above smb.conf is it possible that the attempts using the IP
address, rather than the NETBIOS name, are being allowed access (in
this case read only) because Samba can't determine who the user is and
is, therefore, allowing some sort of guest access? I don't really have
any other way to explain why the access via the NETBIOS name, which
appears to correctly see that the user doesn't have access to the
share, fails and the access via the IP address works. Does that even
make sense?

Thanks,

Rob

On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 1:45 PM, Luke Barone via samba
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> In a perfect world, SysVol would be on an AD Domain Controller, but there
> are people on here who do things out of the perfect world ;-)
>
> If the answer was yes though, then I would be able to post the Reg Setting
> to enable access from Windows 10 and above to those shares. I needed to
> apply it as we are still running PDCs in almost every site. Trust me, I
> can't wait to roll out AD
>
> On Fri, Jan 12, 2018 at 9:29 AM, Rowland Penny via samba <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 09:21:42 -0800
>> Luke Barone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> > As well as what share... Are you trying to access the \\*\netlogon or
>> > \\*\sysvol shares of a PDC?
>> >

>> There wouldn't be a sysvol share on a PDC, or do you mean a DC ?
>>
>> Rowland

Re: Access to Windows 2016 server works with IP but not with netbios name

That implies that samba system is not properly joined to the domain anymore.